Friday, July 31, 2009

Oh, baby


Almost every creature in the world looks better when it's a baby. Some look better than others, granted—there are those baby animals that are born hairless, and that's not very cute, goodness knows. But most babies? Cute. (With the exception of some human newborns, all red, wrinkled, and raisin-y. Or any brand-new newborn, I guess, what with all that slime and blood and goo on 'em... Okay, enough about that. We're not talking newborns here.)

I needed this reminder about innate baby cuteness after I'd nearly stepped on, and cursed under my breath at, this little guy's parents. Apparently, when I thought they'd moved on to brighter backyards, they came back to our lovely, rocky hill to take advantage of the deer's sudden disinterest in our hostas, which are beginning to fill in once again. There I was, ready to feed birds, and there came a fat mother garter slithering out onto the rocks whence I wanted to step. And then her slinky mate. Yes, I screamed aloud when I saw the mom--she came crawling up between two large pavers, rearing her black head just a few inches in front of my toe...or so it seemed, anyway.

But the creepiness passed, the snakes hid under the sedum ground cover, and when I thought the coast was clear, my son hollered, "Mom! Baby snakes!!!" And here was this small, slim, harmless specimen curled up in my husband's hand, his diminutive head as shapely and perfect as his folks' had been. All in miniature.

I STILL don't want them around.

3 comments:

chris h. said...

"They're so cute when they're little!" -- isn't that how the saying goes? We housed a snake or two (or six) when I was growing up, courtesy of my 3 brothers. I was fond of the small black one with the yellow ring around its neck (a Ringneck, duh). But these days, I'd rather not be around anything slithering or wriggling, except maybe a nice fat worm.

Athelas63 said...

He's rather like a miniature work of art, isn'the? So perfect. So small. I kind of like him...

Mel said...

he WAS pretty darned cute, for a snake. I had to lighten the photo to reveal any of his mini details... but I still didn't do justice to his teeny, tiny little head and face. the bittiest little black eyes ever--you just have to see super-small things in person to fully appreciate them.