Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Checking in

Hi! We're still here. We have not yet fallen off the face of the earth. We're still trucking along. Things have been a tad busy what with Easter and all, church commitments, family events, and mad job searching—not necessarily in that order. I apologize for being the absentee blogger once again. I'll be back with a longer post soon, honestly. In the meantime, I'm sad to say I've missed not one, not two, but THREE tea parties near me. The coldest spring I can recall coupled with ceaseless rain, plus my 4-year-old son, have kept me away. I know that those are terribly non-viable excuses, but I also have a fear of crowds and of losing my child in them. And I forgot to mention that I fear violent alternative tea party crowds full of rabid bleeding-heart liberal types who may cause me to lose my logic by talking nonsense to me without relief for lengthy periods of time. And I might just harbor a silly fear that the ridiculously biased media would witness me being taken away in handcuffs by crazy tax-hungry Marxists and my child kidnapped by those same criminals, and that same media might just forget to report the offense because they had to feature a duck and ducklings in jeopardy instead... Gotta get ratings, you know...

Luckily, people I know are far more cool than me and actually attended the tea parties and told me about them. One person even wrote about it. Check it out! And don't be afraid to speak up.

All truth goes through three stages: First it is ridiculed; second it is violently opposed; and third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-Arthur Shopenhauer

2 comments:

Chris H. said...

I didn't mention this in my post (thanks for the link) but the crowd was polite and pleasant. Nothing "extreme" or scary, and many people had kids or were pushing strollers. Everyone sang the National Anthem and recited the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning; Dr. Keyes said a prayer at the end. It was a peaceful, uplifting demonstration. We had heard there might be some counter-demonstrators there, but there weren't. Mike attended Greensburg's Tea Party yesterday -- about 1000 people he thought.

Athelas63 said...

I also attended the tea party on the 11th and it was #1 - a LARGE crowd, definitely not "a few hundred", and #2 - a well-behaved crowd. Not that people weren't angry, they were, but it is a focused, mature disapproval and annoyance, not immature ranting that has (sadly) become so familiar in the news. Dr. Keyes gave (as always) an awesome, though-provoking speech and the people attending responded in kind.